This vegan tres leches cake is two layers of delicate vanilla sponge soaked in a mixture of milks and then filled and topped with whipped coconut milk and strawberries.
For the cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (390 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk
For the soak
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For the frosting
- 2 cups hardened coconut cream (from 2 cans of coconut cream that have been refrigerated for 8 hours or longer)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, softened
Optional for decoration - Strawberries
- Preheat: your oven to 350 degrees and prepare two 8" round cake pans by oiling and lightly flouring them.
- Dry: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- Wet: Add in the vegetable oil, vanilla, lemon juice, and 1 1/2 cups of the milk and stir until combined.
- Bake: Pour the batter equally between the two cake pans and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 15-20 minutes and then run a butter knife around the edge of the cake to loosen and flip onto a cooling rack.
- Poke: After the cakes are cool, transfer to dinner plates and use a skewer or fork to poke holes all over the top of the cakes.
- Soak: Prepare the soak by mixing together the sweetened condensed milk, 1/2 cup of plant milk and the vanilla. Pour about 3/4 of this over the top of the cakes and place in the fridge. After 15-20 minutes check to see how much of the liquid has been absorbed and pour the remaining milks on the cakes. Leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Frosting: In the meantime, prepare the frosting by mixing together the softened cream cheese and vanilla in a small bowl until combined and then placing it in the fridge. Then whisk together the powdered sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and set aside. Scoop out the hardened cream from 2 cans of coconut cream being careful not to get any of the watery liquid and place in a mixer bowl. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes. Then add in the powdered sugar mixture and beat for another 2-3 minutes stopping to scrape down the sides. Soft peaks should be beginning to form. Add in the cream cheese mixture and beat another 1-2 minutes until combined. Place the frosting in the fridge until ready to assemble the cake.
- Assemble: Place one cake on a plate or stand and top with half the frosting. Layer sliced strawberries on top of the whipped cream. Then carefully place the second layer on top of the first and pipe or spread on the rest of the whipped cream. Top with strawberries and serve.
- When whipping the coconut cream frosting you can place your beaters in the freezer for 30 minutes to help it thicken up quickly.
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 493
Keywords: vegan, cake, tres leches cake, dairy-free, plant-based, dessert