These vegan chocolate covered strawberries are a super fun family Easter activity or alternative to coloring eggs. Bonus - they taste as good as they look! |
- 2 lbs fresh strawberries
- 10 oz white melting chocolate
- 2 Tbs of coconut or vegetable oil
- decorations of your choice (optional)
- Wash and thoroughly dry the strawberries. It's important that there be no water left on them when dipping to avoid seizing the chocolate.
- To melt the chocolate you can either -
- Break the chocolate bar into pieces and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add in the oil and microwave in 20-30 second increments. Stopping to stir in between. When your chocolate is mostly melted you can stir and any small pieces should melt. It's important not to heat the chocolate for too long to avoid scorching it.
- Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate by breaking it into pieces and adding to a heat proof bowl with the oil. Set this over a pot of simmering water and stir constantly until it's melted. The water should be simmering, not boiling and the bottom of the bowl should not touch the water.
- Once your chocolate is melted divide into smaller bowls and use food coloring to achieve your desired colors. Gel food coloring is very potent so you won't need much.
- Prepare your work surface by laying down a couple of sheets of parchment paper.
- Holding the strawberries by the leaves, dip into the chocolate. Shake gently to remove any excess chocolate and then set on the parchment.
- Quickly decorate with sprinkles or the topping of your choice because the chocolate will start to set up quickly.
- Continue with the remaining strawberries.
- If you find your chocolate has started to harden in the bowls, you can pop in the microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- You can use sprinkles, nonpareils, crushed nuts or chocolate drizzles to decorate your strawberries.
- These keep well at room temperature for several hours, but for longer storage use and airtight container in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: desserts
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 3 strawberries
- Calories: 223
- Fat: 13
- Carbohydrates: 27
Keywords: vegan, dairy-free, chocolate, strawberry, dessert