This easy vegan pie crust is tender and flaky and comes together in just a few minutes. It works equally well for both pies and tarts and can be used with a sweet or savory filling. So basically it's the only pastry pie crust recipe you'll ever need!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme or sugar (depending on what type of filling you will be using)
- 4 Tbs vegan butter, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbs vegetable shortening
- 3-4 Tbs ice water
- Cut the butter into cubes and measure out the shortening. Place these on a plate in the freezer for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix together flour, salt and thyme (or sugar) in a medium sized bowl or food processor.
- Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the cold butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it's a sandy texture with pebble sized pieces of butter. If using a food processor, pulse several times to achieve this texture.
- Mix in the ice water 1 Tbs at a time until the dough holds together when squeezed.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface (there will still be some loose flour) and working quickly use your hands to bring it all together into a ball. Try not to work the dough any more than is necessary. If using a food processor, pulse just until the dough starts to clump together and then dump out onto your floured work surface and form into a ball.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll out into a 12" circle.
- Transfer the dough into your pan.
- This doesn't need to be perfect and you can use leftover pieces to patch any bare spots. If using a tart pan push dough up the sides and trim off any excess. If using a pie plate, check out this article for edging ideas. This dough will make extra to account for different sizes and depths of pans.
- Put the crust in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- While it's in the freezer, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- After 15 minutes remove the crust from the freezer and poke holes along the bottom and sides using a fork.
- Then line the crust with parchment paper and top with pie weights or dried beans and blind bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After the pie shell has cooked for 20 minutes, remove the parchment and weights and bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the crust if necessary before filling.
- Double this recipe if two crusts are needed for a pot pie or apple pie.
- Work quickly with the dough to keep everything cold and avoid overworking it to avoid a tough crust.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: .4
- Sodium: 274
- Fat: 14
- Saturated Fat: 4.3
- Carbohydrates: 24
- Fiber: .8
- Protein: 3.2
Keywords: pie crust, tart crust, vegan, pastry