These cookies are both soft and chewy in the best kind of way. The dough can be made the day before and kept in the fridge until ready to slice and bake.
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (250g) **see notes
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries, finely chopped
- Toast pecans in a dry non-stick pan over medium heat for 4-5 minutes stirring often until they become fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Once cool, chop them into small pieces and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes in a mixer until nice and smooth.
- Add in vanilla, water and salt and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in 1 cup of the flour on low speed just until incorporated. Then stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl before adding the last 1 cup of flour. Be careful not to over mix.
- Add in rosemary, pecans and cranberries and mix on low speed until evenly distributed throughout the dough.
- On a very lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a roll approximately 10" long by 2" wide. Cover with plastic wrap or put into an airtight container (you mat need to cut log in half to do this).
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/2" slices. Optionally at this step you can roll the log in a mixture of very finely chopped pecans and coarse sugar before cutting.
- Place cookies 1" apart on baking sheets lined with a silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- Bake for 9 minutes and then flip the pan around 180 degrees and bake another 8 minutes until the edges start to brown. The top of the cookies will still seem soft.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 4-5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before storing.
- Using a cooking scale for baking is always recommended for the highest accuracy. If you don't have a scale, then use a spoon to fluff the flour and then spoon into a measuring cup. Then use a knife or the flat handle of the spoon to level off.
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: vegan, shortbread, cookies, pecans, cranberry, rosemary, holiday