This vegan puff pastry is oh so flaky and much easier to make than you might think. Sometimes referred to as a rough puff pastry, this method utilizes shredded frozen butter to speed up the process
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2/3 cup vegan butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
- Butter: Start by grating 1/2 cup of the butter and putting it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Then cut the remaining 2/3 cup of butter into cubes.
- Process: Add flour and butter cubes to a food processor and pulse several times until you get a rough pebble-like texture. You can also do this in a bowl using your fingers to break the butter up into small pieces. Now add in the ice cold water and pulse a few more times. At this point, you should be able to get the mixture to come together if you squeeze it.
- Shape: Turn the dough onto a flour surface and working quickly use your hands to gently shape into a rectangle.
- Roll: Then use a floured rolling pin to roll into a rectangle measuring roughly 8" x 12". Get your frozen butter shreds out of the freezer and quickly spread them in an even layer across the dough working quickly so as not to melt the butter.
- Fold: the right side of the dough 2/3 of the way towards the left using a bench scraper to help if it's sticking. Then fold the left side over top of the right and turn the dough 90 degrees to the right.
- Roll: Out dough to a 12" x 8" rectangle and then repeat the process of folding the right side about 2/3 of the way across and then overlapping the left side on top of the right. Then turn 90 degrees to the right and repeat this process of rolling and folding a total of 4 times until you are back where you started.
- Refrigerate: Wrap the dough tightly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- You don't want the butter to warm up, so the key is to start with everything cold and work quickly. If you have warm hands you can run them under cold water before starting to work with the dough.
- This makes roughly 1 lb of dough which is the same as the store-bought frozen pastry dough. However, the frozen dough is usually in two rolls so you may want to divide this dough in half if you plan on freezing it for later use.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Chill Time: 1 hour
- Category: pastry
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: French
- Serving Size: 1/10 recipe
- Calories: 251
- Sodium: 177
- Fat: 17.9
- Saturated Fat: 4.8
Keywords: vegan, puff pastry, dairy-free, rough puff pastry