This cultured vegan goat cheese is so incredibly smooth and creamy with all that distinctive tangy flavor of a traditional goat cheese. Bonus: it's cultured using probiotics for some gut healthy goodness!
- 2/3 cups raw cashews, soaked
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 probiotic capsules
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu
- 2/3 cup refined coconut oil
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs white miso paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place cashews in a bowl and cover with very hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes, then drain and rinse.
- Add the cashews to a high-powered blender along with 1/4 cup of water and blend until smooth and creamy. This will take a few minutes and you may need to stop and scrape down the sides as you go.
- Transfer the cashew mixture to a very clean glass jar and use a non-metal utensil to mix in the powder from 2 probiotic capsules.
- Cover the jar with some cheesecloth or a kitchen towel and set on the counter for 3 days. I like to give it a stir once a day, but this isn't necessary.
- After 3 days you're cashews are cultured and ready to move on to the cheesemaking. If you aren't ready to make the cheese yet, go ahead and put a lid on the jar and store in the fridge for a few days until you're ready for the next steps.
- Add tofu that's been pressed really well (if you're not sure how to do this, check out my how to press tofu post) to a high-speed blender along with the cultured cashew cream, coconut oil, lemon juice, miso paste, and salt and blend the ever-loving crap out of it. You really need to get in there with the tamper and stop often to scrape down. This usually takes me 3-4 minutes, but it will get very smooth if you're patient.
- Spoon this mixture into whatever you are using for cheese molds and if you plan to mix in any garlic, herbs, etc do that now.
- Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before using. It will firm up considerably.
- If using for a cheese board, take out of the fridge 15 minutes ahead of time so that it can soften to a good spreadable consistency.
- You can use a fork to crumble it up for use on salads.
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: snacks
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 113
- Sodium: 203
- Fat: 8.3
- Saturated Fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 4.9
- Fiber: .5
- Protein: 6.3
Keywords: vegan goat cheese, dairy-free, cultured, probiotic