This vegan cream cheese frosting is so easy to work with and pipes beautifully! It's smooth and creamy and immediately improves anything you put it on.
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, room temperature
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt (optional)
- Beat the shortening with a mixer on low speed for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the butter and beat for another 2-3 minutes until completely mixed.
- Drain off any excess water that may be in the cream cheese container and then add to the shortening butter mixture and beat on low speed for 1-2 minutes just until everything is incorporated. The mixture will be pretty thick at this point.
- Start adding powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix on low until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl each time you add more sugar.
- After all the sugar has been added, mix in the lemon juice, vanilla and salt.
- Put the frosting in the fridge for a least 30 minutes to allow it to firm up before frosting or piping.
- Be careful not to overbeat once the cream cheese has been added or it may become watery.
- Make sure to fully cool whatever baked goods you use this frosting on or it will get all melty.
- This recipe makes enough for about 12 cupcakes or (1) 8 or 9 inch cake. Double it for a double layer cake.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes
- Category: sweets
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 19.6
- Sodium: 160
- Fat: 19.2
- Saturated Fat: 6.3
- Carbohydrates: 21.3
- Protein: .7
Keywords: frosting, cream cheese, vegan