These vegan chocolate chip banana muffins are so good! We like to whip a batch of them up whenever we have overnight guests because they smell divine and keep really well.
They also make for a great grab and go breakfast.
- 2 Tbs ground flaxseed
- 3-4 very ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups mashed)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare your 12 cup muffin tin either with liners or lightly grease with some oil.
- In a small bowl prepare your flax egg by mixing the ground flaxseed with 5 Tbs of water and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas up. It's ok to leave some lumps.
- Stir the flax mixture into the mashed bananas along with the brown sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Add in the melted coconut oil and stir well until the oil is completely incorporated into the mixture.
- Stir in the flour and oats until combined. No need to overmix, this should be slightly lumpy.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups, it's about 1/4 cup each. Top with a few additional chocolate chips if you'd like.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes in the pan before transferring to a wire cooling rack.
- After they've cooled completely, you can store them in an airtight container on the counter for a few days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 13
- Sodium: 163
- Fat: 7.5
- Saturated Fat: 5.5
- Carbohydrates: 31.2
- Fiber: 2.1
- Protein: 3.1
Keywords: vegan, muffins, banana, chocolate chip, breakfast, oats