This vegan beet salad with goat cheese is simple to make and full of flavor. Peppery arugula is topped with sweet roasted beets, tangy red onions, sweet and spicy pecans, and creamy goat cheese and then drizzled with a homemade balsamic dressing.
This salad is perfect for a light lunch or served along side a meal. It looks and tastes great.
Table of Contents
- arugula - but you could substitute with spinach or a spring mix
- beets - we like buying the kind that are precooked because they make pulling salads like this one together so simple. However, if you'd like to roast your own, try this recipe for Roast Beets
- pecans - to kick things up a notch we use flavored nuts on salads. This salad includes sweet and spicy candied pecans but you could also use these smoky toasted pecans or just plain pecans or walnuts instead.
- goat cheese - for this salad we crumbled in some vegan goat cheese. This is optional, but the creamy texture is a great addition. You could use regular goat cheese, feta or a dairy-free option.
- red onion - thinly sliced red onion gives this salad a little zip
- balsamic dressing - this super simple homemade dressing is made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
Step By Step Instructions
Start by mixing together the vinaigrette so that the flavors can start to meld together. Add all the ingredients to a small jar and shake until combined. This will make more dressing than you need for this salad, but it keeps wonderfully in the fridge.
Red onions sometimes have a slightly bitter taste, so if you'd prefer to mellow them out a quick soak in cold water will do the trick. Slice the onions thinly and cover them with cold water in a bowl. Leave them to soak for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients and then drain very well before adding.
To assemble the salad, start with a layer of arugula. Then layer on the red onion and sliced beets. Top with pecans and crumbled vegan goat cheese.
Drizzle with the balsamic dressing just before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! I used my favorite vegan goat cheese recipe and it works wonderfully in this salad. Violife makes a vegan feta cheese that would also taste great.
Yep - get creative. Switch out the arugula for spinach or a spring mix, use some golden beets, try walnuts instead of pecans. It's all good!
Storing and Freezing
This vegan beet salad with goat cheese is best served immediately after preparing. However, if preparing ahead for a potluck or party, I would add the dressing on at the last minute.
I've put leftovers of the already dressed salad in the fridge and it was still delicious (if slightly wilted) the next day.
Any leftover dressing can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for a week
Strawberry Spinach Salad with Goat CheesePrint
Vegan Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
For the dressing
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 3 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 tsp maple syrup or agave
- 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
- 5 oz arugula
- 3-4 small/medium beets, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup toasted pecans - we like to use these candied pecans
- ½ cup goat cheese, crumbled - we used my homemade vegan goat cheese
- Dressing: Add all the dressing ingredients to a small jar and shake until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Onions: To mellow some of the bite from the red onion, thinly slice and soak in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. When ready to assemble the salad, drain the red onions VERY WELL so that they don't water down the salad.
- Assemble: Layer all the ingredients together in a large bowl or platter starting with a bed of arugula. Drizzle on a few spoons of the dressing just before serving and enjoy!
- Store any leftover dressing in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Category: salads
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: ¼ recipe
- Calories: 281
- Fat: 3.4
- Carbohydrates: 20
- Protein: 4.8
Keywords: vegan, salad, beets, goat cheese, onion
I love beets and can’t wait to try this salad!
Emily Flint says
This salad is basically all of my favorite things in a bowl, yum! I just planted A TON of beets in my garden and now I know exactly what I will be doing with them, pinning for later!
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady says
What a lovely salad. I can't wait to get bets from the farm to make this, this summer!
Meenakshi Thakur says
Gorgeous looking, delicious, and healthy salad! Beets are my absolute favorite... interested in your vegan goat cheese recipe... gotta give it a try.
Cooking with Carbs says
I've been having more salads at lunch lately, and I've been looking for more great salad ideas. This salad looks amazing and I love goat cheese. I'll try it this week for sure!
I need to try your salad dressing, I love arugula and need to find beets. I like this healthy treat.