These dairy-free mashed potatoes are easy to make and full of garlicky flavor. This recipe is perfect if you have dinner guests that can't eat dairy, but don't have any plant milk on hand. They are honestly so creamy that you won't even miss the dairy!
- 5 pounds of russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
- salt for cooking ( use 1 Tablespoon for every 8 cups of water)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare and Cook the Potatoes: Peel and cut the potatoes into small pieces, no larger than 1 inch in size. Add to a large pot and cover with cold water. Mix in the appropriate amount of salt using 1 Tablespoon for every 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Garlic Oil: While the potatoes are boiling, add garlic and oil to a small saucepan over low to medium heat. Cook until soft and fragrant about 6 to 8 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Mashing: When the potatoes are done cooking they should be fork tender. Scoop out 1 1/2 cups of the cooking water and set aside. Then go ahead and drain the potatoes and return them to the pot they were cooked in. Use a potato masher to mash them until no lumps are left. Then add in the garlic oil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and enough of the reserved cooking liquid until they are creamy.
- Serve: With vegan butter and fresh parsley if desired.
- The more uniformly the potatoes are cut the more evenly they will cook.
- Add the cooking water a bit at a time and mix up. Then keep adding more until you've reached your desired consistency. I typically use 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 380
- Fat: 12
Keywords: vegan, mashed potatoes, dairy-free