This dairy-free mac and cheese is a family favorite. The creamy, cheesy classic with a buttery breadcrumb topping is vegan comfort food at its finest.
- 16 oz macaroni, elbow or cavatapi
- 6 Tbs vegan butter, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbs nutritional yeast
- 16 oz shredded vegan cheddar (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbs melted butter
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cook pasta according to package directions, but reduce the cooking time by 1-2 minutes so that the pasta is al dente. Drain and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish along with 1 Tablespoon of the butter. Stir until the butter is melted and coating the pasta. This step is important to both grease the pan and ensure the pasta doesn't stick as it cools. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large pot set over medium heat melt the remaining 5 Tablespoons of butter and then whisk in the flour. Continue to cook the flour mixture for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently until it starts to darken slightly and smell nutty. Then stream in the plant milk as you whisk until it's smooth.
- Whisk in the garlic powder, onion powder, mustard powder, salt, pepper, and nutrition yeast and continue cooking over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir often to avoid scorching.
- Add the shredded cheese to the pot and stir until it melts. Then stir in the cooked macaroni and mix together until it's fully coated with the cheese sauce.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the prepared baking dish.
- Mix together all the topping ingredients in a small bowl and then sprinkle over the top of the macaroni in the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. If you'd like a bit of extra crunch on the topping broil for 2-3 minutes at the end of the cooking time, but watch closely so that it doesn't burn.
- Make sure to undercook your macaroni by 1-2 minutes because it will continue to cook in the oven and nobody wants mushy macaroni!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 859
Keywords: vegan, dairy free, pasta, macaroni, mac and cheese, baked