This arugula salad with apples is easy to throw together and tastes amazing! Peppery arugula topped with tart apple slices, sweet and spicy pecans, and creamy goat cheese are drizzled with a lemon mustard vinaigrette.
I love having this salad for lunch or paired with a grilled meal or pasta dish. Yum!
Table of Contents
- arugula - but you could substitute with spinach or a spring mix
- apple - thinly sliced. A nice tart apple is a great counterbalance to the sweet pecans and the creamy goat cheese.
- pecans - to kick things up a notch we use flavored nuts on salads. This salad includes sweet and spicy candied pecans but you could also use these smoky toasted pecans or just plain pecans or walnuts instead.
- goat cheese - for this salad we crumbled in some vegan goat cheese. This is optional, but the creamy texture is a great addition. You could use regular goat cheese, feta or a dairy-free option.
- lemon mustard vinaigrette - this super simple homemade dressing is made from olive oil, lemon juice, agave syrup, Dijon mustard, minced shallots, salt, and pepper.
Step By Step Instructions
Start by mixing together the vinaigrette so that the flavors can start to meld together. Add all the ingredients to a small jar and shake until combined. This will make more dressing than you need for this salad, but it keeps wonderfully in the fridge.
In a large bowl or platter start by layering the arugula and then adding the sliced apples, crumbled cheese and pecans.
Drizzle with the lemon mustard vinaigrette just before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yep - get creative. Switch out the arugula for spinach, use a different kind of fruit, try walnuts instead of pecans. It's all good!
Storing and Freezing
This arugula salad with apples is best served immediately after preparing. However, if preparing ahead for a potluck or party, I would add the dressing right before serving.
That being said, I put leftovers of this already dressed salad in the fridge and it was still delicious (if slightly wilted) the next day.
Any leftover dressing can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for a week.